What to do: Neighbors flooded?
Flooding from the top neighbors is a real headache for many people. Often the neighbors themselves are not to blame, but this does not diminish the question of what to do in such a situation.
In this article, we will look at what to do if neighbors are flooded, where to turn and how to solve this issue in a civilized manner.
How to stop flooding
The first question that arises in every person who is in this situation is what to do when neighbors fill an apartment.
- First you need to try to neutralize the leakage. Of course, first you must completely cut off the water supply with the help of valves in your apartment. If this did not work out, you should immediately contact the house manager in order to cut off the water supply in the entire staircase.
- After that you have to make a call to the emergency service and wait for her arrival. It is advisable to take a picture of the leak and try to contact the neighbors who flooded you.
When fixing the damage, you first need to remember that you should not clean the room and restore order.If the damage was serious enough, then you first need to take a picture of the entire room, as well as those places that received the most damage, you can also make video footage.
The document that confirms the fact of flooding your apartment, is the act of flooding. This document is issued in duplicate, compiled by the commission, which includes witnesses and representatives of the management company. One copy should remain with you, and the second is given to the management company.
What should be reflected in the act of flooding
After you took the first steps to eliminate the leakage, waited for the emergency service and began to draw up an act of flooding, you need to go through all the items and fill them.
- First of all, pay attention to the point in which you must reflect the reason for flooding. The reason may be damaged pipes, the negligence of neighbors, as well as the negligence of the management company. Very often in this case it is necessary to contact an independent expert.
- Next, you must list the damage caused by flooding. This should include all aspects related to property damage due to flooding.
- An important point in the preparation of this act is the presence of your neighbors.If they refuse to be present at the drafting of the act, it must be recorded in the appropriate paragraph.
- You must make an estimate of the amount of damage. This estimate should be made together with an independent expert who is engaged in the valuation of the property. After drawing up an estimate, you just have to go through all the members of the commission to get a signature. Also do not forget to sign for yourself, otherwise the act will be invalidated.
Going to court for damages
As a rule, in case of serious damage it is not possible to resolve the situation without a court. When applying to the court for the recovery of damage from your neighbors you will need the following documents, namely: a copy of the flood report, a defective act in which you must indicate the value of damaged property, as well as the cost of repairs, cost estimates for repairs and documents confirming your ownership of the apartment.
Note that even if the fact that your neighbors poured in on you, thereby causing damage to property will be established, this does not mean that they will be obliged to pay you the necessary amount immediately after the court’s decision. Usually the court gives time to pay the entire amount (from 3 months).