What is the UN Assembly? Participants, structure, authority, range of issues
We often hear about the sessions of the UN General Assembly - meetings and meetings devoted to the discussion of important, acute issues of a global nature. Its powers include consideration of any issues within the UN Charter, as well as making recommendations on them to member states and the UN Security Council. The assembly was established in 1945.
Refer to the dictionary. What is an assembly? We are given two interpretations. First, it is the highest authority in some countries of the world and in international organizations. Secondly, from a historical point of view, the assembly in the 18th century was nothing more than a ball gathering in noble houses; these events were introduced in 1718 by Peter the Great. The calendar of assemblies, drawn up in advance, was strictly observed, the nobility spent huge amounts of money on their organization and holding, balls were held in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Not only noble citizens, but also officials took part in the assemblies.
Within the UN
What is the Assembly within the United Nations? It is one of the main bodies, in accordance with the UN Charter, of all the member states of the Organization, of which there are 193 today.
The composition and functions of the General Committee of the General Assembly
The General Committee includes the Chairman, as well as his deputies, who are 21 in number, and the heads of the six main committees. The General Committee makes recommendations to the Assembly regarding the agenda and guidelines regarding organizational work.
The body is divided into six main committees that consider issues in the following areas.
- Politics, disarmament and international security.
- Economy and Finance.
- In the humanitarian, social and cultural spheres.
- Wardship, decolonization, questions relating to Non-Self-Governing Territories.
- The Fifth Committee deals with administrative and budgetary matters.
- The Sixth Committee has jurisdictional issues.
There are two standing committees - Advisory on Administrative and Budgetary Questions, Committee on Contributions.
Within the framework of the sessions of the UN General Assembly, high-level committees, advisory and ad hoc, and executive committees are constantly working. The Special Committee is addressing the use of outer space for peaceful purposes.
How decisions are made
On particularly important issues, in particular, on recommendations for peace and security, as well as on the election of members of the Security Council, for a decision to be taken, two thirds of the votes of the member states are needed. Decisions on other matters are taken by the UN General Assembly by a simple majority. 193 UN participants in the Assembly have one vote each.
The planning session of the UN General Assembly begins with general statements by representatives of the organization’s members on the most important, acute international issues that have arisen. Each country has its own opinion.
A member of the Organization for which there are arrears in the payment of monetary contributions shall be deprived of the right to vote in the framework of the General Assembly. However, for some debtors, an exception is made today.
As a rule, in September, on the 3rd Tuesday of this month, mandatory annual sessions of the Assembly are held.What are special as well as extraordinary sessions that we also hear about very often? If the need arises, acute issues are brewing, extraordinary meetings are convened dedicated to these particular problems, a decision is made according to the results, a resolution is signed. Each state is represented at the session by five delegates and their five deputies.
Functions and powers of the General Assembly, in accordance with the UN Charter - what is decided at sessions
- At the General Assembly sessions, general principles are considered within the framework of maintaining international peace and security, including current disarmament issues raised today, and recommendations are made based on the results of the discussion.
- Questions of international cooperation.
- Development of measures for the peaceful settlement of ethnic conflicts, including military ones.
- Consideration of a wide range of issues in the field of international law, the observance of human rights and fundamental freedoms, the promotion of international cooperation in all areas of human life: economic, social, humanitarian, cultural, in the fields of education, and health care.
- Consideration of reports of the Security Council, other UN bodies.
- Adoption of the UN budget, the resolution of questions about membership fees.
- Selection of non-permanent members of the Security Council, appointment of the Secretary General.
How to solve acute current military conflicts, how to deal with violence and hunger, is there any guarantee from the General Assembly that such issues will be submitted to an extraordinary session as soon as possible, and the approved decisions will be implemented? After all, the United Nations determines the measures for the peaceful settlement of any situation between nations. What do we see today? Does the UN work well? So far, deuce you, gentlemen!