What is the MIA?
The abbreviation of the Ministry of Internal Affairs stands for “the Ministry of the Interior”. Being the most important part of the state apparatus, the Ministry of Internal Affairs has a branched structure from various departments, whose tasks are to ensure the internal and external security of the country, as well as the implementation of state policy.
A more accurate understanding of what the Ministry of Internal Affairs is will be helped by the list of tasks facing this structure:
- Elaboration and implementation of the policy of Russia in relation to issues of law and order, migration, public security;
- The implementation of state protection of property and organizations;
- Work on the prevention of potential, as well as on the identification, investigation and suppression of crimes that have already occurred, administrative offenses;
- Management of the internal troops of the Russian Federation, as well as the internal affairs bodies of the country;
- Protection of the rights and freedoms of each Russian, as well as citizens of other countries residing in the territory of the Russian Federation;
- Maintaining public order;
- The implementation of state control over the circulation of weapons;
- Improving regulations in the areas of migration, law and order, public security;
- Control of public safety.
Structure of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation
Control and regulatory functions are assigned in the Ministry of Internal Affairs to the main departments, which include:
- The main command of the internal troops. Monitoring the work of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the tasks assigned to the Ministry of Internal Affairs;
- General Directorate of own security. He deals with issues of state protection of employees of internal affairs bodies, civil servants and their relatives.
- General Directorate for Traffic Safety. He heads the traffic police system.
- The main department of transport. Elaboration and implementation of state policy, as well as legal regulation of the rule of law at the water, air and railway transport facilities of the country.
- General Directorate of private security. Engaged in the protection of property and objects.
- Main Department of Criminal Investigation. The solution of all issues related to the prevention, detection, investigation, detection of criminal offenses, the search for criminals.
- General Directorate for the Protection of Public Order. Solving issues of public safety control, licensing and permitting work, as well as coordinating the cooperation of the ministry with the executive authorities.
- General Directorate for Countering Extremism. The solution of all issues related to countering terrorism and extremist activities in the territory of the Russian Federation.
- General Directorate of Economic Security. Performs anti-corruption.
In addition, in the structure of the Ministry of Internal Affairs there are departments and offices. The level below is followed by various centers assigned to the Ministry of Internal Affairs (for example, the Academy of Management of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation, the Expert Forensic Center). After them in the structure of the ministry are represented the territorial bodies of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
In the different countries of the world (Australia, Armenia, Israel, Finland, Turkey, etc.) official authorized representatives of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia work.