The benefits and harms of black currant for health. What are the vitamins in black currants
The benefits and harms of black currant for the human body have long been a stumbling block among physicians. Some claim that no berry is more valuable, others ardently assure that the value of the berry is exaggerated, and for some people it can provoke undesirable health problems. Let's try to understand everything in more detail.
The health benefits of blackcurrant are endless. After all, this berry is a storehouse of vitamins, according to nutritionists, syroeda, homeopaths and specialists in traditional medicine. This plant is amazing because not only berries are eaten, but also the green leaves of this unpretentious shrub.The fruits are used for making jam and syrups, which are used for colds, weakened immunity and increased fatigue.The presence of black currant berries in rutin, which strengthens the cardiovascular system, makes it indispensable in the treatment of atherosclerosis, diseases of the blood and kidneys.
What vitamins are in black currant berries?
- Vitamins of group B: 1, 2, 6, 12, which makes it indispensable in restoring the nervous system and skin diseases.
- Vitamin C. Currant is the record for the content of this vitamin among all fresh foods. Only 20-30 berries can satisfy the daily needs of the body.
- PP Indispensable for the overall health of cells and the withdrawal of cholesterol. Expanding blood vessels, this important vitamin removes toxins and promotes an active and harmonious metabolism.
- Beta-carotene, which normalizes hormones and is a prophylactic agent for cancer diseases.
- Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that improves eyesight and immunity.
- Vitamin H, which is necessary for patients with diabetes, as it is involved in the processing of glucose. He is considered the "vitamin of female beauty."
- Folic acid. The fresh berries of black currant are full of this important substance. Therefore, the fruits are strongly recommended for pregnant women, especially in the first trimester. Folic acid also removes heavy metals from the human body, such as mercury, lead.Therefore, people in toxic industries are also recommended to eat it in order to reduce harm.
On the health benefits of black currant can talk long. It is effective in diseases of the digestive system, due to tannins, with rheumatological problems, removing uric acid from the body, as well as in hypertension and diabetes. Therefore, in each family should be kept a jar of black currant, ground with sugar, in case of a flu epidemic.
What micro and macronutrients are present in the berry?
Mineral substances necessary for human health, in currants are present in large quantities. Every 100 g of berries contains:
- potassium (350 mg) eliminates oxygen deficiency, balances the water balance in the body;
- fluoride (17 μg) improves the circulatory system and improves the condition of the teeth;
- Calcium (36 mg) - a cholesterol regulator, an important component of the skeletal system, stabilizes almost all important systems of the body;
- iron (13 mg) is high hemoglobin, excellent skin condition and good brain activity;
- copper (130 mg) helps to absorb iron and eliminates inflammatory processes in the body;
- boron (50 µg) is involved in bone formation and proper metabolism;
- phosphorus (33 mg) - one of the most important elements in metabolic processes, controls the work of the nervous system;
- Magnesium (31 mg) is responsible for the normal functioning of the heart and muscle tone.
Is there any benefit from the leaves?
There is a big one. Summer residents and conservation lovers know this. When preparing pickled cucumbers and tomatoes, each housewife knows that it is necessary to put a few green leaves of black currant for the elasticity of vegetables and the characteristic crunch.
Leaf drink is in demand among lovers of herbal teas and popular recipes for diseases. After all, such a composition is an excellent diaphoretic and antiviral agent, while removing excess uric acid from the body. If the metabolism is disturbed, the tea from the leaves of black currant will help to normalize it. It is especially effective in combination with thyme and hawthorn. The most interesting thing is that in leaves of vitamin C more than in berries. However, few people know about this.
Baths of leaf decoction are used for skin rashes, swelling, bruises, gout and psoriasis, as well as for general weakness of the body caused by physical exertion.
Who can not eat black currants?
Despite the obvious benefits of black currant, it also causes harm, but only for a limited circle of people. First, it is an allergic reaction to the fruit. Secondly, this berry is not recommended to be eaten by people with an increased tendency to varicose veins, thrombophlebitis and with high blood clotting.
It is also undesirable to eat black currants for people with high acidity, stomach ulcers and acute gastritis. However, all lesions of the digestive tract impose a taboo on the ingestion of this berry. With different types of hepatitis, black currant is forbidden to receive, as well as after strokes and heart attacks of various types.
Use in traditional medicine
If you overcome a cough, it is recommended to gargle with black currant juice, diluted in half with water. You can also drink a decoction of berries, mixed with honey.
If you rub the juice of fresh currant in the nail plate, then very soon the nails will become strong and no longer peel off and break.
For anemia, raw foodists recommend making small balls of berries, chopped with a blender and mixed with buckwheat flour in a 1: 1 ratio. Eat them with herbal teas or natural juices.
With colds, tea from the leaves of black currant, raspberry, elderberry and wild rose is the most effective and safe remedy for children. In addition to the powerful antiseptic properties, this tea is an excellent diaphoretic drug, which promotes the removal of toxins from the patient's body.
Berries, minced through a meat grinder and mixed with a small amount of honey, in a few days will raise immunity. They can be added to cereals or fruit salads, in tea or just to eat with a slice of bread.
In what form is it better to eat?
Best of all, of course, fresh black currants in any form. But at the same time, this berry is remarkable in that it does not lose its beneficial properties during freezing and drying. With short heat treatments, vitamins are also preserved, but with prolonged exposure to heat, vitamin C is destroyed. Therefore, if there is a choice: to boil the jam or freeze, then it is better to choose the second option. There will be more benefits, but less hassle, which is also an important factor.
You can also dry the berries in the dryer, and if they are not on the farm, in the oven with the door ajar, at a temperature of 30–40about. When squeezing the berries will not stick to the hands and let the juice, turn off the oven.After that, the currant must be kept for a day in a ventilated dry room scattered over paper or newspaper. Then pack in linen bags and store in a dry place.
Black currant, ground with sugar, is also a good option for storing berries. In winter, such mixtures are excellent for raising hemoglobin and immunity, as well as for preventing influenza during epidemics, there is no harm from such preparation.
The benefits of black currant for children
Up to seven months, babies are better to refrain from this berry in order to avoid the appearance of an allergic reaction. Then it can be gradually introduced into the feed, immediately welding it. Young children have a very high content of microelements and vitamins in black currants. Therefore, to ignore and fear it is not necessary. This is especially true of children prone to colds and anemia.