Can pregnant women take a bath? What is the reason why a bath is not recommended during pregnancy?
In the period of carrying a baby, every woman should be very attentive to everything that happens to her. After all, the most harmless at first glance things can threaten not only health, but also the life of her crumbs. In this article we will talk about whether you can take a bath with pregnant women.
First of all, it must be said that while carrying a child a woman should take care of herself with particular attention. Personal hygiene is important. Indeed, during pregnancy, the following nuances are possible:
- Some women have increased sweating (especially in the last months of pregnancy).
- Significantly increases the amount of vaginal discharge.
- The number of urination processes increases.
All these actions can cause discomfort and even cause an unpleasant smell. Therefore, women should wash as often as possible (especially wash). In addition, it will be an excellent measure to prevent the development of various fungal diseases. But what better to give preference: a soul or a full bath?
As soon as a woman finds out that she is “in position,” a wall of human speculation and prejudice begins to grow around her. It is even interesting that some specialists of the “old school” will also agree with the following statements. So why pregnant women should not take a bath (according to homegrown specialists)? There are several reasons:
- Risk of infection. From the water into the body of the future mothers can get pathogenic bacteria and microorganisms, which will lead to the development of serious diseases.
- Taking a bath can cause miscarriage.
- It is also believed that a warm bath can cause premature labor.
However, are these statements true? I want to understand this in more detail. As for infection,then the probability of catching some kind of illness from tap water is unlikely. It should be remembered that the uterus is surrounded by mucus plug, the baby - amniotic fluid. All these elements are designed to protect the crumbs from the effects of various pathogenic bacteria. That is why this statement is not true. As for preterm labor or miscarriage, they, in extreme cases, can be provoked by hot water. However, the reception of a normal, warm bath will not cause any harm to the future mother and her baby. But rather, on the contrary, it will be an excellent means of relaxation.
About the benefits of a bath
Can pregnant women take a bath? The answer will be definitely affirmative. In addition, it is even beneficial for the mother and her baby. What good can give warm water?
- Reception of a warm bath perfectly removes puffiness (a problem faced by pregnant women, especially in recent months). It is important that it improves blood flow to the legs.
- Warm water perfectly improves circulation. And this is useful not only for the mother, but also for her baby, because it is through the bloodstream that the baby receives not only oxygen, but also all the nutrients for its own growth and development.
- Reduced back pain. The warmth of the bathroom can also have a relaxing effect.And it is very important for women, especially in the last months of gestation.
- Stress relief.
What will the doctors answer if they are asked if pregnant women can take a bath. They will definitely give an affirmative answer. Moreover, modern physicians even advise women in the position to practice aqua aerobics or simply to visit the pool. As for open reservoirs, doctors also say that you can swim there. However, if there is a permit from the Sanitary and Epidemiological Service (all equipped recreation areas near open water bodies must have this permission).
Understanding whether pregnant women can take a bath should be given a few words to various additives that ladies love to use. As for the foam bath, then it can be applied without fear. However, with extreme caution you need to treat aromatic oils. Before using them, it is best to consult your doctor. After all, some aroma oils can have allergens in their composition that will harm a child. Among the dangerous ones, the following extracts can be distinguished:
- Cypress tree
So, we found out that you can take a bath for pregnant women. And even need! However, it is worth giving a couple of tips on how to do it right. What is the perfect bathroom for a future mother?
- The temperature of the water in the bath should be no higher than 37 degrees, i.e. body temperature. This is the best option that does not harm.
- Do not be afraid of infection.
- Especially carefully need to treat a variety of aromatic additives. In the period of gestation, it is better to eliminate them completely.
- Instead of shower gel, it is best for future mother to use baby soap. It has a pleasant smell and does not cause allergic reactions at all.
- After taking a bath, a woman should apply a moisturizer on her body. Especially you need to pay attention to the tummy.
- At the bottom of the bath is best for safety to lay a rubber mat. This will help the expectant mother better keep his balance on slippery surfaces. Also, do not give up help when getting out of the bath.
- Can I take a bath for pregnant women? Of course! However, it is best to do this for no longer than 15 minutes. This is the optimal time, which is enough for the body to fully relax.
- While lying in the bath, the expectant mother should remember that her shoulders should remain above the water. This will help avoid overheating of the body.
Following these tips, the expectant mother will be able to get only benefits from the bath procedure and will not harm her health at all (as well as her baby’s well-being).
Oh hot bath
What can be answered to the ladies who ask the question of whether you can take a hot bath in pregnant women or not? Absolutely not! This can be very dangerous (as opposed to taking a warm bath). What problems can this cause?
- Placental abruption (the result is a miscarriage).
- Preterm birth (even on the shortest term).
It is worth saying that taking too hot a bath is one of the popular methods of getting rid of unwanted pregnancy. However, most often it does not work, and the body of the future mother is at risk. This is why a pregnant bath cannot be pregnant. After all, it can cause the loss of a child at any time of his carrying.
When is taking a bath better?
Can I take a bath for pregnant women? This question should not be shy, each woman should ask her doctor. After all, there are situations and problems in which this action is contraindicated. What could it be?
- Periodic bleeding. If the expectant mother suffers from this problem, she should completely refuse to take baths, even warm ones.
- If a woman has lost her water, she is absolutely forbidden to take a bath.
- If this procedure causes discomfort in a pregnant woman, it is best to refuse it.
In addition, there are certain diseases that can cause rejection of water procedures. This is best to ask the gynecologist.
Having understood when and why pregnant women should not take a bath, it is worth saying that you do not need to despair in this case. After all, there is a great alternative - a shower. It may not be so pleasant as to lie in warm water, but the procedure of taking a shower performs its functions to the full.
- As a hygienic procedure it is best to use a warm shower (its temperature is approximately 38-39 degrees). It also has a calming effect.
- Cold shower (less than twenty degrees). Can only be used short term. It has an excellent tonic effect.
- Hot shower (40 ° C and above). Contraindicated. It is also possible to use it for a short time (like a cold shower) - douche. In this case, the water should fall exclusively on the back, but not on the stomach.
- Contrast shower (alternate hot and cold water). It can be taken if a woman has absolutely no health problems, the baby develops normally. Brief duration and avoidance of water jets on the stomach - this is the key to the success of this encouraging procedure.
We have already understood that the following statement is a myth: pregnant women should not take a bath. It is also worth mentioning that various herbs can be added to the cooked font. However, this should be done with caution and with the permission of the doctor. An excellent means of relaxation, and to some extent even treatment, are herbal baths. To do this, you can brew cool tea and just add it to the water. You can make a collection of herbs, put it in a bag and attach it to a tap so that the water that is collected passes through this cup. The ideal way to prepare a decoction for the bathing of the future mother:
- You need to take about 2-3 tablespoons of herbs (or gather herbs - if desired), pour them with 2-3 liters of boiling water. Then you need to put everything in a water bath and boil for about 15 minutes. After this decoction is ready.It must only be drained and added to water.
How are pregnant women taking a bath? Why not soak in the sea salt? However, this should also be done with the permission of the gynecologist. Such a bath can soothe the nervous system, relax muscles, relieve swelling, and even remove toxins from the body.