How to split a disk on Windows 8?
Watch the video
Keeping all the eggs in one basket, as you know, is not the best solution. This phrase is relevant not only for the financial sector, but also, for example, for your computer. When buying a new computer / laptop, we sometimes find that the Windows hard disk is represented by just one volume, which is, firstly, inconvenient, and secondly, unsafe. It’s really a matter of making three volumes - on one to store user-generated content (photos, movies, music, etc.), on the second — all sorts of programs, and on the third — the system files. In this case, if you need to reinstall it, other data will not be affected. How to share the hard drive on Windows 8 without the help of additional software, let's talk in this article.
- Go to the "Toolbar", select the "Administration" section, then in the opened folder click on the "Computer Management" section, in the new window select "Disk Management". Short cut! Press the key combination "Windows + R" and in the search bar enter "diskmgmt.msc".
- We click on the hard disk icon that we want to share, right-click and select the item “Compress Volume” in the drop-down menu.
- Now you can choose the size of the new logical drive. Please note: if there is already some data on your computer, not the entire volume of the hard disk will be available for setting this parameter. You will see the “Compressible Space” and “Compressed Space Size” options. These parameters must be equal.
- In the next step, select the letter that will be marked with the disk.
- Now we have an unpartitioned area. It is highlighted in black. Click on it with the right mouse button and select "Create a simple volume ...".
- In the next window, duplicate the size of the volume, then assign the drive a letter, which it will be designated.
- In the "Format partition" select NTFS.
- We are waiting for the system to finish formatting. All! It is done!
Important! Sometimes the antivirus may interfere with the breaking of the hard disk, in which case it will have to be disabled for the duration of the operation, and if this does not help, it will be completely removed.
Well, the instruction, as you can see, is very simple. Surely, you can do it! Good luck!