How to set up the Internet on a smartphone?
Watch the video
A smartphone is a multimedia device that helps many people stay connected and in the know. Let's talk more about how to set up the Internet on your smartphone.
Usually, after installing the SIM card, automatic settings of the Internet come from the service provider. But even after them, the smartphone may not connect to the Internet until the additional options on the phone are enabled.
How to set up Internet via Wi-Fi
Today, many modern smartphones are equipped with Wi-Fi support. Consider how to set up your own Wi-Fi on your smartphone.
In order to set up a wireless network on your smartphone, follow these steps:
- Go to the menu of the smartphone and select "Settings". This menu contains the following tabs: “Wi-Fi”, “Data Transfer”. Also there is a tab "More".
- To enable the wireless network on your smartphone, check the box next to the Enable Wi-Fi function.The smartphone will scan the surrounding wireless networks.
- When you select the "Wi-Fi" tab, a list of available Wi-Fi networks will open. To update them, click on the Update button. Also you have the opportunity to add your own Wi-Fi network.
- To connect to an available Wi-Fi network, you must select it, enter the required password and click on the "Connect" button. After that the network will be saved.
In the “Data transfer” tab (“Settings” menu) you have the option to enable or disable mobile data. Mobile data is the mobile Internet. To enable it on your smartphone, follow these steps:
- In the menu of the smartphone, select the item “Settings” -> “Data transfer”.
- Check the box “Mobile data”.
- You can also set a mobile data limit for downloading a certain number of megabytes.
Even in the tab "Data Transfer" provides detailed information about how many megabytes were used for a certain period of time (data usage cycle). Also in this tab you can see how many megabytes used this or that application.
In the “More” tab (“Settings” menu) there is a section “Mobile networks”. Make sure there is a check mark next to the first tab “Data Transfer”. If the box is not displayed, it must be checked. The second tab "Data Roaming" is disabled by default. This is a connection to data services when roaming. The third tab is “Access Points (APN)”. To use the mobile Internet based on GPRS technology (General Packet Radio Service - packet data service), you must correctly configure the APN access point.
You can learn more about how to set up GPRS on a smartphone in our article How to set up GPRS. You can even not register the access point in the smartphone. It is enough to ask the mobile network operator to send Internet settings that will automatically be installed on your mobile device.
Using a smartphone as a modem
Your smartphone can also be used in the Internet modem mode. For this:
- In the smartphone menu, select “Settings” -> “More” -> “Modem mode”.
- To use a modem through a Wi-Fi access point, you need to configure it. To do this, go to "Access Point Settings".You will need to enter the network name, security and password.
- To open the network, click on the "Open" button.
- To protect access to a Wi-Fi network, select the option WPA - search, enter your password and click on the "Done" button.
- Save all settings.
- After that, you can turn on the wireless access point. A message will appear that she is in active state.
Now you know how to set up the Internet on your smartphone.