How to make sauerkraut at home
Sauerkraut is one of the dishes that, when properly prepared, retains vitamins and healthy properties for up to 9 months. Let's talk about how to make sauerkraut at home.
In winter and springtime, a person is deficient in fortified food, so even in the times of Ancient Russia, people came up with recipes for tasty and healthy food that does not lose its beneficial properties. Today, sauerkraut is rarely done in whole barrels, and putting vegetables in cans is another matter.
Useful tips before cooking
Before cooking, consider useful tips that will help prepare sauerkraut properly and tasty at home.
- To prepare, choose late cabbage - these varieties have stronger and thicker leaves. They are better stored, more beautiful after preparation, peculiar crunch.
- Kvass cabbage can be and big chunks. The main thing is to remove the stalk, and then you can cut into two, four or more parts.With this method, be sure to take a dense cabbage.
- Sterility. The dishes and appliances with which the dish is prepared must be sterile. The principle of cooking is fermentation. If bacteria get into the tank during the process, the product will deteriorate.
- Do not be afraid to experiment. Many housewives add to taste a variety of vegetables and spices: bay leaf, cranberries, beets and much more.
Cabbage is not a high-calorie product, but sugar and salt are added during cooking, which is misleading for many body-watchers.The average caloric content of sauerkraut is 19-23 kcal per 100 grams.
Speaking about the composition of the dish, the bulk of the carbohydrates. However, despite the fact that most diets minimize the consumption of carbohydrates, nutritionists do not add sauerkraut to the black list. This happens for two reasons:
- A third of the composition - proteins, which is an excellent indicator for the product.
- Utility. The dish has a whole complex of vitamins, which is more than covers all carbohydrates.
With any diet or with a simple healthy diet, eating such a snack is possible and even necessary.
Sauerkraut - a recipe for the winter in the banks
The recipe in the banks is one of the easiest and most popular for the winter.
- Cabbage (without stalks) - 2 kilograms.
- 150-200 grams of carrots.
- 2 tablespoons of salt.
How to cook:
- Finely chop the carrot into strips (rubbing on the grater is not worth it). Chop cabbage and effortlessly rub with salt.
- Then add chopped carrots. You mix everything so that the carrots are evenly distributed throughout the whole cabbage.
- Put the ingredients in a jar in layers and tightly tamped. It is better not to fill the cans completely, but to leave 5-7 centimeters from the top.
- If done correctly, on top of the cabbage should be wet and highlight the juice.
- Cover with gauze and leave at room temperature for about 24 hours.
- After a day on top of the cabbage you will see the liquid that formed during fermentation. Take a long thin wooden stick and pierce several times over the entire depth to get the gases out. A similar procedure is carried out for three days.
- On the second or third day you can try a snack. If it is already quite sour, cover it with a lid and put it in the fridge or basement. If still not acidic, leave warm for 4 and 5 days.
- Store after cooking only in the cold.
Consider the popular way of cooking crispy sauerkraut for the lazy, or people who do not want or can not wait. In this case, the marinade comes to the rescue.
- Cabbage - 2 kg.
- Carrots - 150-200 grams.
- 2 tbsp. spoons of salt.
Ingredients for marinade:
- 250 ml of water;
- 0.5 tbsp. spoons of sunflower oil;
- 0.5 tbsp. spoons of vinegar;
- 100 grams of sugar;
- 3-4 pieces bay leaf;
- Black pepper (peas) to taste.
- Slice cabbage and carrots, rub with salt.
- All ingredients for the marinade mix and bring to a boil.
- Fill jars or other containers with cabbage (it’s not worth ramming, just add a little).
- Pour hot marinade into chopped vegetables.
- Ramming over or putting a suitable load on top.
- After cooling, send in the fridge for a day.
When to sauer the cabbage according to the lunar calendar
Not everyone believes in omens, horoscopes and calendars. However, as experience shows, the lunar calendar can play a cruel joke in a particular case.
The best time to cook cabbage on the lunar calendar is the growing moon. It is not recommended to sour according to the standard recipe for a decreasing moon. Astrologers forbid sauerkraut in the new moon.
Benefits and harm to the body
Like any product, sauerkraut has positive and negative sides.
- Enough protein.
- Contains vitamin C, P, PP group B.
- Low calorie.
- Can be used by people suffering from diabetes.
- Rejuvenates the skin. There are even masks from sauerkraut.
- Reduces the risk of cancer.
Harm to the body:
Talking about the dangers of food is difficult, because it does not contain any serious or harmful components. However, cabbage is acidic, which can harm people with digestive tract problems (for example, with a stomach ulcer). It is not recommended to use a snack because of the high salt content and people who have problems with kidney function.
For decades, sauerkraut has been on the tables in almost every home, thanks to its ease of preparation, taste and benefit. It is worth noting that there are dozens of wayshow to make sauerkraut at home and this is not the limit.