CVT or automatic?
Most modern car enthusiasts prefer automatic transmission manual. Automatic transmission is normal, or how else it is called "robot" or another modification - the variator. A conventional machine has up to eight speeds, a CVT is an infinite number of speeds. And what is the variator? The variator is an intermediate device between the engine and the drive. CVT has always been used in scooters, mopeds, snowmobiles. In cars, it has been used since the end of the twentieth century, although it gained popularity only today. The movement of the car with a variator, reminds acceleration of a powerful engine, the car moves smoothly and quickly.
Variable speed drive
Any variable or automatic has its pros and cons. And we start with the characteristics of the variator. So, the CVT has its advantages:
- Dynamic fast acceleration. Precisely, faster and more smoothly than on the machine and especially on the mechanics.
- Economical fuel consumption.
- Dynamic movement, without jerks. This is achieved by the absence of gear changes.
- Great engine life.
- Easy driving. Especially for beginners, a car with a CVT will seem like a fairy tale.
- Good acceleration, even for cars with medium power.
- Safety in emergency and emergency situations.
Any system has disadvantages, and the CVT is no exception. The main disadvantages of the variator include:
- It is impossible to start moving sharply from the spot.
- Cannot be used with vehicles with too powerful engines.
- Driving a car with a CVT is slightly different, and drivers who are used to mechanics or machine guns will have to adjust.
- Sports receptions on a car with a CVT, do not work, such methods will not be able to enjoy.
- Instead of engine oil, which all motorists are accustomed to using, the use of a variator requires a special liquid as a filler, much more expensive than oil and indispensable to any other.
- Repair of the variator is very difficult and sometimes impossible. The repair of such modern systems involved in very few organizations. Parts to get is also not easy.
- When towing such a car, or towing the car itself with a variator, there will be many restrictions.
- The work of the variator is directly dependent on all factors: pressure, speed, crankshaft position and much more. If one part fails, it will be necessary to repair almost the entire car.
- Every 100-150 thousand kilometers it is necessary to change the belt between the pulleys.
- Sophisticated electronics.
CVT requires special care. In order for the part to serve you as long as possible, you must follow the following rules of operation:
- Warm up engines well, avoid cold.
- To monitor the presence of fluid, do not forget to replenish.
- Monitor all sensors, wiring and connectors.
- Follow the engine.
Find out what is better CVT or automatic for your car, it will be possible after we describe all the pros and cons of an ordinary automatic transmission. The main advantages of an automatic transmission include:
- Easy driving. The driver absolutely does not need to think what speed to choose, how to move, etc.
- Great clutch life. With this problem, you probably faced, if you used a manual transmission.
- Great engine life. The automatic gearbox shifts gears, sparing the engine. Engine wear becomes smaller.
- The automatic transmission uses hardly less fuel than the manual one. But these data are approximate. Conventionally, with an average speed, and automatic and mechanics use an equal amount of gasoline. And despite the fact that the variator will consume even less gasoline, then these data are completely unimportant.
CVT or automatic have minuses, sometimes significant and important. The disadvantages of an automatic transmission include the following:
- The machine does not have such a dynamic and smooth movement. If you own a car with a standard automatic transmission, then you are probably used to jerks and chain movement. Here the machine obviously loses to the variator.
- As for gasoline, we have already described. We give a specific example. The machine uses more fuel than the variator, but less than a manual gearbox.
- Automatic transmission is also not easy to repair, most likely the repair of the transmission will result in a good amount.
- It is necessary to fill in gear oil almost twice as much as in a car with a CVT. For example, the variator requires 5 liters, and the machine 10.Also, the oil must be changed more often than when using a variator. For example, the variator requires an oil change for every 100-150 thousand kilometers, and a machine gun requires an oil change for every 50-70 thousand kilometers.
- At very low temperatures and frost, the automatic transmission may simply not work, and the transmission oil will simply harden.
We have described all the pros and cons of the gearbox. Now we have to summarize. What is better, variator or automatic? For technical properties, the variator goes ahead of the machine. But the CVT does not suit every car, and not every car enthusiast will like the automatic transmission.
Much also depends on whether there is a guarantee for your car. If you buy a new car with a guarantee, feel free to choose the variator, because you can fix it. In other situations it will be more practical and more economical to choose an automaton. Ultimately, it all depends on the owner of the machine and its technical properties.
I hope our article will help you choose or decide what to choose, variable speed or automatic, although the main quality, in fact, is the quality of production of a particular unit. Choose and drive with pleasure!