Choose a pet: ferret at home
If you are a fan of outdoor activities and fun, thenthe ferret at home is exactly what you need. These animals have a cheerful disposition, mobility and playfulness. Care for the ferret does not require much effort, it's enough to feed and play with the pet, but like all animals, these pets love affection and attention. Therefore, leaving them in a cage for the whole day is simply unacceptable.
How to choose a ferret
It is recommended to buy a ferret puppy at the age of 1.5 months. When choosing one should pay attention to three points:
1. Appearance. Pay attention to the wool: it should be shiny, of the same type (without bald patches). The nose is wet, without discharge. The eyes are bright and shiny. These signs indicate the excellent health of the puppy.
2. Behavior. Healthy ferrets tend to be mobile, curious and playful. A small animal should not be afraid of human hands. Excessive aggression or timidity speaks of the wrong education of the pet, most likely, such a ferret at home will bring only trouble.
3. Movement. These animals are very mobile, so rapid coordinated movement indicates excellent health.
In addition, there is an unspoken rule - intuition. You should listen to your inner voice, which will definitely point to your pet.
House for a ferret
These are quite freedom-loving animals. They prefer to be with the family and take an active part in everything that happens. Keep the ferret in the cage is only the first few weeks, so that he is used to the new environment, sounds and family members. In the future, you can put a pet there as a punishment or for the purpose of education.
Where should the ferret live? At home it is better to equip a warmed loggia or an entire room for him. Also free movement is welcomed throughout the apartment, but in this case, the ferret must be educated and not left unattended.
Territory where the pet will live, be sureshould be equipped with a sleeping place, a hammock, feeding troughs and drinkers, tunnels and toys. Only in such conditions you will see all the subtleties of his character and behavior.
Feeding and care of the ferret
Each breeder prefers an individual approach to his pets, so it's better to ask the seller about how to care for the ferret and how to feed it.
These animals are inherently predators. Therefore, their diet should be dominated by protein foods. Breeders propagandize three types of food:
1. Live food (rodents, small birds). This option is the closest to what animals have in their natural habitat, so it is optimal. Unfortunately, in urban conditions, it is practically impossible to maintain such a diet.
2. Frishekasha. It consists of meat and cereals. With this diet, you need to add a vitamin complex. Meat should be used with giblets and bones, and grind the croup.
3. Dry food. Special food for ferrets is still quite small, so it is possible to apply food for kittens.
Do not give a ferret to a humanfood. The structure of its gastrointestinal tract is not adapted to complete digestion of such products. Also do not forget that these animals require a lot of fresh water.
With proper care, education andbalanced nutrition your ferret at home will feel fine, and on a visit or on the street will prove to be an obedient and well-bred pet. Only the right approach will make it possible to raise a friend from this small predator for the whole family.