Anthurium - care at home, why the leaves dry and do not bloom
Choose a houseplant that will fill the interior of the house with bright colors in the autumn-winter season? Stay at Anthurium (Anthurium). Care at home for this flower is not easy, but if you do it right, it blooms for almost a year.
I will consider in detail the subtleties of care for this decorative exotic, I will tell you in detail what conditions to contain a flower, how to water, replant and propagate. I will separately dwell on the problems that may arise during the cultivation of anthurium, and give effective ways to solve them. First, let's take a closer look at this flower.
Anthurium - amazingly beautiful indoor plant, characterized by unparalleled flowering. In nature, it grows in Central and South America. The card of anthurium is considered to be the unusual shape of flowers.On a long stalk there is a cover of white, pink or red color, above which stands a straight or arc-shaped cob, resembling a girl's scythe. The leaves are smooth and large.
Anthurium usually blooms in the summer, except for the species, which in good conditions throw flowers all year round. Flowering is long, often reaches one quarter.
Video description and useful tips
Let's imagine that you came home from a flower shop with a “new tenant” in your hands. Naturally, you are interested in how to care for anthurium.
Immediately I will warn you, anthurium is quite capricious and poisonous. Improper circulation is fraught with diarrhea, vomiting, contact dermatitis and irritation of the mucous membranes. Therefore, keep the plant away from children and pets.
- Lighting. Anthurium does not like direct sunlight. Take care that stray light falls on the plant. As an option, keep in a shaded place. In winter, for flowering, highlight. The plant is shade tolerant, but in conditions of insufficient lighting does not bloom.
- Temperature. The ideal temperature for anthurium ranges from 20-25 degrees. In winter, it is recommended to keep in a room with a temperature of 18 degrees. Remember, sudden changes in temperature and drafts adversely affect the anthurium.
- Watering. In the warm season, water the anthurium twice a week with warm water. In winter, the intensity of irrigation is halved. The flower is incredibly demanding for watering. He does not like the stagnation of the water, nor the dry land. Watering is not recommended with cold or lime water.
- Air humidity. In the tropics, the humidity is always high. To ensure similar conditions in the apartment, leaves are regularly sprayed. The main thing is that the moisture does not fall on the inflorescences, otherwise they will be covered with spots and quickly fall off. At the base of the stem, place a piece of sphagnum that takes moisture to the air roots and takes care of their normal growth.
- Top dressing. At the time of growth and flowering anthurium, as dragon, you should feed a little. Perform the procedure twice a month using high-quality organic fertilizers or mineral solutions.
- Transfer. Experts recommend replanting young plants annually in early spring. Adults are transplanted once every two years. For anthurium, wide and shallow pots with good drainage are ideal.
- Priming. The composition of the soil mixture should include humus, non-sifted leaf soil, peat and sand. The ideal ratio is 4: 2: 2: 1, respectively. The substrate must contain pieces of broken brick with cones, moss and charcoal. The proportion of the coarse fraction should be at least 15 percent of the volume of the soil mixture. Thanks to these components, the ground can easily pass water and air.
Types of Anthurium
The indoor plant in question is ideal for interior decoration. The flower will emphasize the harmony of decoration and conciseness of the office or living space. I will consider the types of anthurium that are best suited for growing at home.
- Scherzer. The most elegant look. It is characterized by a thin and winding cob, which often folds into a ring. Varied color inflorescences. The color scheme starts with a yellow tint and ends in red.In the list of distinctive features: unpretentious, massive, wide, oblong leaves with sharp tips.
- Andre. A species of anthurium Andre is larger than the previous species and grows to a meter height. The plant has heart-shaped leaves, an erect and slightly curved ear of yellow color. The cover is large, white, red, two-colored and even multi-colored. Usually sold varieties with a red veil.
- Hybrid. Created by crossing species of Andre and Scherzer. The list of popular varieties of hybrid anthurium includes “Alabama” (red cover and yellow ear), “Midori” (emerald cover and yellowish cob), “Monet” (fancy color with green and pink strokes), “Angel” (snow-white cover and yellowish cob).
- Crystal. Incredibly decorative leaves - wide and heart-shaped, at the base one part of the leaf plate comes a little on the second. Dark green leaves covered with light green veins, forming a mesh pattern. Inflorescence with the ear of a greenish-yellow shade, drooping peduncle and a narrow greenish veil. Because of its small size, the flower is ideal for breeding in apartments and offices.
- Majestic. According to the pattern and texture of the leaves, it strongly resembles a crystal anthurium, but in optimal conditions it is characterized by a higher height and larger green leaves and a mesh pattern of light veins. Inflorescence resembles the previous species. Suitable for a greenhouse, rather than for a living room.
- Climbing. Oblong pointed leaves. In the flower shops is rare. Allocate a variety with purple leaves. It adapts to apartment conditions quite well. In winter time, peace is needed, which includes lowering the temperature and reducing irrigation.
- Elegant. This powerful plant has large, dissected leaves with wavy tips. Due to the large inflorescence, represented by a cherry cob and a yellowish veil, the species is considered the most beautiful. It is extremely problematic to purchase, but if it is possible, it is easy to adapt to home conditions.
- Hooker. Another ornamental leafy variety differs from previous species in the absence of stems. The flower has wide emerald leaves collected in the outlet. In residential conditions it blooms rarely.Thanks to the leaves and decent size looks spectacular.
The considered types of anthurium are most suitable for home cultivation. They look great and are ideally suited for the role of a gift to a best friend. Keep this in mind.
Reproduction of anthurium
Anthurium, thanks to an unusual flowering, the object of admiration of flower growers. The plant is often referred to as "male happiness." I will tell 5 ways to reproduce anthurium.
Method one - reproduction by apical cuttings
The most successful method of reproduction of anthurium involves the use of apical cuttings. It is better to perform the procedure at the end of spring. During this period, the workpiece rooted much faster. This method is used for breeding Dieffenbachia.
- Knife cut off the top of the shoot. The length of the cutting is about 15 cm, with several leaves.
- Make a drain hole in a plastic cup, fill it with vermiculite, deepen the cutting by five centimeters, pour and moisten the leaves.
It is recommended to keep the container with the handle in a room with a temperature of about 25 degrees. Wash the cutting so that the crushed mineral does not dry out.For a month, the stalk will take root, and then transplanted into a pot with an earthen mixture.
Method two - reproduction by dividing the bush
This method of home reproduction of anthurium rejuvenates the plant. Perform the procedure better in the spring, at the time of transplantation.
- Remove the anthurium from the pot, carefully release the root system from the ground, use a knife to separate a couple of young shoots with roots and leaves.
- The resulting blanks to plant in separate pots at the same depth, and the main plant back.
To care for the updated plant, as for a full-fledged flower.
The third way - reproduction side shoots
This breeding technology resembles the previous method.
- From the adult flower to detach the side shoots with roots and leaves.
- Plant them in a pot with a prepared substrate in advance.
Regularly water, spray, periodically feed.
Method Four - Leaf Breeding
In some cases, anthurium is propagated by rooting a leaf with a stalk fragment. Place the leaf in boiled water and wait until the roots appear. Next, plant a young plant in a pot with a suitable primer.
Method Five - Seed Reproduction
Flower growers rarely use seed material for reproduction of anthurium, because it is a complex and time-consuming process. To get a new flower, you need to plant seeds in the ground and wait at least three months.
Transplant video secrets
You got acquainted with the technology of reproduction of anthurium. I recommend the first four ways. The fifth technique is mainly used by breeders in the process of breeding new varieties.
Usually, a flower rarely suffers and tolerates insect damage without any problems. However, due to certain reasons, there are cases when it is attacked by pests or overtakes a disease.
Common problems in breeding anthurium are represented by the absence of flowers, twisting, yellowing or wilting of leaves, the appearance of spots on the trunk.
Anthurium has health problems when the owner violates the growing conditions or does not carry out the prevention of insects. Diseases and pests are the worst enemies of anthurium.
- Rolled leaves- A protective reaction to the effects of excessively bright light.To solve the problem, move the flower pot away from the sun. After that, the plant will quickly turn the leaves.
- The appearance of black spots on flowers- the result of water ingress. For spraying anthurium use a good sprayer, perform the procedure as carefully as possible.
- If the stems are rotting- excessive watering. It is recommended to remove the affected stems with putrefactive bacteria and stop soil moistening and spraying until recovery.
- Grayish bloom on the leaves- fungal disease "Gray rot". Place the flowerpot with a flower in a ventilated room, remove the damaged areas and treat with Topsin.
- . You can even see aphids with the naked eye. It usually strikes delicate parts of the flower. To eliminate the problem, treat the anthurium with a special preparation.
- Shchitovka. Dark spots on the leaves - a sign of the appearance of scythes. When examining the sheet on the back side, you can find a brown bump. Heal the flower by spraying with insecticides and wiping with a soap.
- Spider mite. If the leaves turn yellow, curl and become covered with spots, and the young leaves of the degenerative form, the anthurium came into the field of vision of the spider mite.To eliminate the plant pest treat acaricide.
- Nematodes. The sign of nematodes is the appearance of bulges and tubercles on the roots. It is impossible to get rid of the disease. Usually the plant with the pot is destroyed. If the anthurium grew in a ceramic container, it can be sterilized in the oven.
I listed the most common diseases and pests that a flower is prone to. We will consider other problems in detail.
Why spots appear on leaves and trunk
The considered ornamental plant is not easy to grow. Improper care often causes illness. Let's understand why there are spots on the leaves and the trunk.
- Waterlogging. The main reason for the appearance of stains. Be sure to follow the rules of watering, otherwise restoring the original appearance of the leaves and the trunk after overwetting is problematic.
- Incorrectly selected transplant substrate. When transplanting, you need to act carefully, trying not to damage the roots, and after carrying out the procedure, place the plant in a warm and bright place.
- . Spots appear when watering with cold or hard water.
- . Causes stains on leaf surfaces.To correct the problem, use the method described in the previous section or a solution of tobacco. With a strong infection, Actellic or Karbofos will come to the rescue, as is the case with Croton.
- Septoriosis disease. In this disease, the affected leaves are subject to immediate removal, and to prevent the spread of the disease, the plant is treated with copper sulfate.
Try to properly care for the flower, and such problems simply do not appear.
Why leaves dry and turn yellow
A healthy plant blooms up to 3 months and is constantly growing foliage.
- Wrong lighting. The most common cause of drying and yellowing of leaves is improper lighting. To eliminate the problem, move the flower to a well-lit place. The main thing is not to fall the direct rays of the sun.
- Low temperature. Usually the problem with drying leaves occurs in winter. At a temperature of 12 degrees, anthurium leaves turn yellow and become covered with brown specks. Elimination of the problem is reduced to moving the flower to a warmer place.
- Excessive moisture. Root problems caused by excessive moisture cause wilting and yellowing of the foliage. Remove the plant from the pot and carefully inspect the roots.After removing the rotten elements, place the flower in fresh ground.
- Incorrect dressing. Excess or shortage of fertilizer. If the leaves turn yellow after top dressing, pause the procedure. If a uniform yellow spot appears, fertilize the flower.
The possible causes of yellowing and falling leaves of anthurium are now known quite well. If you find these symptoms, proceed as recommended.
Why anthurium does not bloom
There are often cases when an ornamental plant is capricious and refuses to bloom.
- Wrong lighting. The plant feels great only in conditions of diffused light. Poor lighting, direct rays of the sun prevents flowering. Keep the flower in a shaded place, and if there is a shortage of natural light, use a fluorescent lamp.
- Low temperature. Anthurium throws out flower buds only when the air temperature in the room is not lower than 23 degrees. At lower temperatures, make it bloom unreal.
- High temperature during wintering. Tied buds in the dormant period. It requires a temperature of around 16 degrees.
- Wrong watering. Waterlogging and drying of the soil is one of the reasons why the anthurium refuses to bloom. If the ground is wet and the flower does not take in liquid, transplant it, taking care of normal drainage.
- Low air humidity. Anthurium is a tropical plant. Therefore, he likes high humidity. Due to the dry air flowering is delayed.
- Old inflorescences do not fall. When the buds bloom, they start the process of seed ripening, which significantly weakens the flower. To anthurium continued to bloom, trim the flowering inflorescences.
I sincerely hope that with the help of these tips you will successfully overcome the difficulties in breeding this exotic plant and await the moment of flowering. Good luck in floriculture!