What does an orthodontist dentist do? Methods for correcting bite
What is the difference between orthodontics and dentistry? What is the specificity of these professions? What does the dentist and orthodontist do? What methods can be used to correct bite defects? We will try to disclose the answers to all these questions in our material.
Who are orthodontists?
When a person has a problem with the state of the teeth, he is sent to a dental clinic. However, it is not always clear which specialist should be addressed in a particular case. In order not to waste time in vain, you need to figure out what the orthodontist and the dentist are doing.
Medical practice of the orthodontist is connected with the following procedures:
- alignment of the dentition;
- patient counseling aimed at preventing the development of an abnormal bite;
- elimination of gaps between teeth;
- adjustment of the position of permanent and dairy units;
- control over the formation of the jaw structure in children;
- taking impressions from the dentition, bone tissue;
- installation of corrective structures;
- observation of the formation of tissues in the oral cavity of the patient over a long time period.
To understand the difference between an orthodontist and a dentist, let's consider what procedures a regular dentist performs. The activities of these doctors are bound by recommendations for proper oral hygiene. Such specialists are referred to if the structure of the teeth is damaged, various inflammations of the tissues of the oral cavity, and bleeding gums. The dentist is able to appoint the installation of seals, bridges and crowns, perform the bleaching of enamel, carry out other operations aimed at eliminating various minor defects.
At what age can you seek help from an orthodontist?
An orthodontist doctor can solve the problems of patients of absolutely any age. Since the problems with the wrong structure of the teeth and defects of the jaw tissue are often observed in both adults and toddlers.Moreover, it is recommended to send a child for the first examination to such a doctor no later than 7 years of age. After all, after coping with critical disorders in the oral cavity can be quite difficult. There is a whole mass of bite pathologies that only a pediatric orthodontist can eliminate.
What factors affect the development of abnormal bite?
In the first place here goes genetics. Often, defects in the structure of the dentition and bone anomalies are inherited by children from their parents. For example, a large or small jaw is an exclusively family trait. Such features usually pass from generation to generation.
Another factor in the formation of an abnormal bite is chronic ailments, the course of which leads to a violation of nasal breathing. The blockage of the nasal sinuses forces a person to absorb air through the oral cavity. The result is often a change in the anatomical balance of the tissues of the cheeks, tongue and lips. It is these organs that are directly involved in the formation of the correct outlines of the jaw.
Abnormal occlusion is often the result of the presence of destructive habits in the child. It is about sucking fingers, lips, tongue, as well as the reluctance to abandon the pacifier.All this can lead to the development of anomalies of the structure of the jaw and dentition.
It is worth noting that the wrong bite is not only an aesthetic problem. Sometimes the consequences of such a defect is a violation of speech, breathing, facial muscle facial expressions, swallowing. If you do not visit the orthodontics center in time, serious pathologies of the nose, ear, and throat may develop, there will be increased bleeding of the gums, premature loss of healthy teeth. The consequences of all this is the development of diseases of the gastrointestinal organs.
Common bite defects
The profession of orthodontist involves the correction of the following anomalies:
- Overcrowding - the problem develops against the background of lack of space for some teeth in the row. The consequence is often the exposure of the tissues at the roots, the thinning of the gums.
- Sagittal slit - incisors of the upper row prominently in the frontal direction. The defect causes an increase in the probability of injury to such teeth.
- Deep bite - incisors of the lower jaw are concave inward, which leads to regular damage to the upper gums.
- Open bite - the presence of gaps between the front teeth.
- Lower prognathia is an anomaly that is expressed in the presence of a disproportionately large mandible. For such patients, control of bone growth is shown from an early age.
Elimination of bite anomalies braces
What does an orthodontist do? First of all, such a doctor is engaged in installing braces. A fixture is a set of brackets that are interconnected by a force arc. Pads are fixed on the teeth with a special adhesive composition. The presence of a rigid arc contributes to the gradual correction of the shape of the dentition.
Bite correction in this way usually takes from 8 months to 3 years, depending on the individual nature of the problem. For a specific period of time, the patient has to visit the orthodontist's office several times in order to change ligatures, as well as to carry out corrective procedures.
The main advantage of the method is the possibility of correcting almost any bite. There are several disadvantages to this solution. First, it is worth noting discomfort,which a person regularly has to feel during oral hygiene. In addition, braces often look unattractive to people around, even repulsive.
How much do braces cost?
There are several varieties of bite correction systems. The client of the orthodontist is usually entitled to independently choose a specific option. So, how much do braces cost?
- Metal - the cheapest and affordable. Have increased strength. However, they give the smile of a person an extremely non-aesthetic look. Their installation costs up to 13 thousand rubles.
- Plastic - have less resistance to damage compared with the previous version, but they are not so noticeable on the teeth. Gradually the shade of such devices fades. Apply them when necessary short-term correction of the shape of the dentition. The cost of installation is from 25 thousand rubles.
- Ceramic - almost imperceptible on the teeth, because their shade blends with the color of enamel. The main advantage is the lack of oxidation of the material. The price of installation of such systems starts from 30 thousand rubles.
- Sapphire - made of high-strength artificial crystals. They are less durable than ceramics. They have a transparent structure and are invisible at a distance.The procedure for their installation will cost the patient 95 thousand rubles.
- Lingual - brackets, connected by a power arc, are mounted on the inner surface of the dentition. In the process of bite correction, practically nothing tells others about their presence. Perform the most expensive solution. The installation of lingual braces can be 100 thousand rubles or more.
Bite correction capa
If there is a wrong bite - what to do? In addition to installing braces, you can use a special cap made from polymeric materials. The fixture usually has a transparent structure. Adaptation to the corrective means is fast. Wearing a mouth guard does not cause discomfort on the physical level. In addition, the device does not harm the state of enamel. With oral hygiene, the mouth guard is temporarily removed from the deformed dentition.
What does an orthodontist do by prescribing such a correction method? The doctor performs an x-ray of the jaw, according to which the cap is created. During treatment, the patient may need to make several fixtures.The results of the correction largely depend on the frequency of change of cap. As practice shows, on average, the elimination of occlusion anomalies in this way takes less than a year.
In the most advanced cases, orthodontist dentists have to resort to treatment with surgery. Such a need arises during critical deformation of the dentition, asymmetry of the jaws.
During the operation, the orthodontist makes an incision in the bone in the area of incorrectly spaced teeth. The solution improves a person's ability to swallow, chop food, and sometimes facilitates breathing. Surgical intervention is performed under general anesthesia. Positive changes with this approach are noted after the passage of several weeks. At the end of the rehabilitation period, after a successful operation, the orthodontist may prescribe the installation of braces, wearing a corrective cap.
The method has several contraindications. It is about the inaccessibility of the operation for patients with cancer, HIV-infected, children under 16 years of age, people who have serious heart problems and the functioning of the endocrine system.
The application of the method is shown to children under 6 years of age who do not yet have permanent teeth.Myotherapy is to perform a kind of physical education. The exercises included in this complex train the muscles of the jaws and the oral cavity. Thus, conditions are created for the formation of a proper bite.
Correction of bite anomalies in this way is applied before starting treatment with braces, or during the rehabilitation period after surgery. Laser exposure promotes tissue regeneration, and also eliminates inflammatory processes.
When correcting the bite by wearing a mouth guard, installing braces or by the operative method, the shape of the dentition changes. On the bone tissue are unusual loads. The result is often the occurrence of microtraumas. The use of a laser allows you to quickly restore a healthy tissue structure and avoid possible complications. The method does not allow to correct the occlusion without performing other procedures, but merely represents an auxiliary treatment.